Each year storms and hail cause property damage and personal injuries worth hundreds of millions of dollars. To help manage these risks, AgriRisk has 6 Tips on things you can do to help protect your family and your property by being pro-active.
- Have a household emergency kit and make sure everyone in your family knows where it is located. It should contain items such as batteries, torch, first aid kit and portable radio. Include a plan about how you will contact each other if you get separated in an emergency, including contact numbers.
- Clear gutters and downpipes regularly
- Review your home and contents insurance policy and keep them up to date, here is a link to a useful tool on our website
- Keep your home well maintained - in the harsh Australian climate materials can deteriorate over time.
- Ensure your property is clear of any dead trees and ensure that vegetation is kept well away from powerlines.
- Building standards change from time to time, standards that help reduce the risk of damage to your home. Have a certified builder check your home as well as your roof to avoid any nasty surprises.